Property Damage Claims Tips

notebook paper and penWhat is property damage? Property damage is an insurance policy which pays for damage caused to the property owner.  This can include home damage, damage to commercial buildings, material contents stored in property when the damage occurred, and vandalism.


I cannot stress enough how critical it is that you know what your policy does and does not cover before property damage occurs. It is an important step to make sure that you have enough coverage in the areas where your home or building may be most susceptible.  The environment in which your property rests must be taken into consideration when going over the types of coverage you  need.

Here are top property damage claims preparation tips to keep in mind:

Select proper coverage! This is  critical so make sure that your policy is thoroughly explained to you and that you understand all limitations and coverage. Make sure to have an amount that is an excess of what you own.  Remember that antiques are usually not covered in basic property insurance so if you own antiques you will want to get what is called a rider to add coverage in this area.  If you cannot get your insurance company to go over and explain your policy to you, a public adjuster here at Priority Adjusters will be more than happy to review this for you for free.

It’s important to keep your policy in line with updates to your inventory i.e., the latest purchases.  If you have an existing policy that you have not evaluated in sometime, it is recommended.  You can always get limit increases and more coverage if necessary.

  • Know what your policy deduction is.  Is it something you can actually pay if needed?
  • Basic home owner policies generally do not cover flood damage and earthquakes. Be sure to ask your carrier about this.
  • When Its Time To Call A Professional

Should you have an incident of property damage and need to file a claim you can find information about how to file a property claim here.  For the quickest results it is important you contact a professional public adjuster first.  A public adjuster is experienced in settling claims.  They will get your claim filed, come to your home to assess damage, take pictures if necessary and act as the second opinion necessary in receiving a proper settlement to your claim.  A public adjuster works with emergency restoration services on a regular basis so they can quickly get the ball rolling on repair and clean up.  Insurance companies generally expect to pay a higher cost for emergency services. Your contractor should bill them directly.

Remember, your insurance will pay the minimum on your claim unless they are properly challenged.  This is where having an insurance claims adjuster on your side is vital to your property damage claim. Your insurance company is under obligation to pay for your damaged property.  At the same time they are a business so they are in it to make money.  An independent property damage claim specialist such as a public adjuster will help immensely in this matter.

Water Damage Cleanup

Be careful how you report water damage from a leaky toilet or backed-up septic to your insurance company. While you must be truthful, make sure you explain the situation using the most accurate language — or you could find your claim denied.

Most people would not say, “my wife says she kinda thinks she heard the toilet running for many days…so, she did not think it would cause a problem while we were away for the Labor Day Holiday!” But, SOME WOULD!”

Best advice is to call an adjuster right away to get help filing the claim…and using the terms that are correct to assure your coverage is not limited.”